Friday 24 March 2017
This website exists to provide information about the Slapton Line area; it is funded and maintained by the Slapton Line Partnership.
The Slapton Line Partnership
The Partnership was formed in 2001 in response to a closure of the coast road (between the Slapton turn and Strete Gate), which lasted three months. The road was closed due to substantial damage caused by a combination of strong easterly winds, high spring tides and low levels of beach shingle.
The Partnership exists to:
- maintain the coast road for as long as reasonably possible
- support the community as it adapts to live and work with the changing coast, including the temporary and eventual permanent loss of the coast road
- to manage the future road closures to the benefit of the community
The Partnership brings together the following community and government bodies under the following structures:
Partnership Steering Group includes :
- Chris Brook, South Hams District Council (SHDC) – Chairing Partner
- Robin Toogood, South Devon AONB
- Peter Brunt, Devon County Council's (DCC) Highways Department
- Jon Grimes, Natural England
- Martin Davies, Environment Agency (EA)
- Andy Pratt Slapton Ley Field Centre/Whitley Wildlife Trust
The Steering Group gathers quarterly to consider developments at the Slapton Line and respond to these to the benefit of the Slapton Line area as whole. Examples as follows:
- an agreement in spring 2008 to invest in re-building the shingle bastions along the beach that had been eroded by the sea since they were built in 2001;
- winning through a grant from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) to be spent on community adaptation to the long-term loss of the coast road.
- Pre-emptive planning permissions (and environmental impact assessment) for two sections of the road (north of the Slapton turn) to be moved inland. See details.
- Land searches entry to make clear future policy. See details.
- Minutes of the Steering Group are in the resources section
Partnership Advisory Group
The advisory group includes representatives from the following groups
- Parish Council representatives
- Business and community representatives
- Estate representatives
- Devon & Cornwall Police
- Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue Service
- South Western Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- South Hams District Council (SHDC) – Chairing Partner
- Devon County Council's (DCC) Highways Department
- Natural England
- Environment Agency
- Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- Slapton Field Centre
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
The Advisory Group meets every 12 months to inform and guide the Steering Group. Members of the public are welcome to attend. Minutes of the group are in the resources section